Sunday, January 31, 2010

The new manual

This year we have acquired a new manual that veers in a different direction then that of the prophets. The book is basically back to the basics; faith, repentance, baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost; simple things that were taught in the missionary discussions. My wife and I read through the book and when we read the questions we came across questions that my favorite LDS author once called questions that should be answered with an answer that throws off the teacher. For example:

Did Lehi love his family?

No, he wanted them to starve!

Really is that the question? Come on, now that was one of the most asinine questions I have heard in a while. I thought that when I read his article that that would never happen in Gospel Doctrine. I was wrong. This new book is asking questions that I suppose Gentiles ask themselves every day but us LDS people know the answers to those questions. The new members have a separate class to answer their questions; Gospel Essentials.

So I plan to rectify the situation by going through the questions that I feel need answering. My aim is to answer the questions and make fun of ourselves in the process. I know that I need a good laugh every once in a while and taking myself too serious I would go crazy so look for the new question/answer for lesson one sometime this week.

No comments: