Thursday, September 28, 2017

Plastic for Real Pearls



I was sitting in sacrament today and I realize that some of the things that I am asked to give up are small and insignificant while other things I keep in my life are things that I would never give up for the life of me. For example, I was a trumpet player and would never give my trumpet for the life of me, one mission later, that instrument was sold and I have never picked up the instrument again. Its not to say that the experience is forgotten, its to say that each experience as it comes and goes is showing me that life is more fluent. Some talents are relevant in its time but then later in life needs to be reevaluated.
A while ago there was a talk given in General Conference (I cant remember the talk) but here is the reference. In it was a realization that the things that we desire most should be something that we can sacrifice for better and greater from God. The talents that we have, the wealth we acquired it is all a learning for something greater.
It was hard at times to realize that the temporal things that we are desperate to hang on to, are perishable and meaningless. The experience with that 'stuff' though is eternal and its important that we screen and decern what we are willing to allow into our lives. Like the trumpet, a skill, appreciation of music, joy from the experience and the friends made, that's valuable.
Mortals are going to go through a lot of stuff. If we follow the prophet and scriptures, pray often and really attempt to do the will of God, we will see that the 'stuff' we acquire is the stuff that we want to put in our mansions in the next life.

No comments: